Thursday, June 19, 2008

Watermelon-Cucumber Gazpacho

Boy was it hot today. Over a hundred out there, and it reached over 90 inside my house. I needed something to eat that would help me cool off. I wanted to just buy a bunch of fruit and cut it up and eat it, but then I recalled a meal I had in Durham, NC. I was over at the house of the mother of my old Sous Chef (I was a line chef in that kitchen). She brought out a delicious cucumber Gazpacho for lunch with bread, and sparkling Blueberry juice. What a meal. Personally, I have never made the cold soup before. I figured now was as good a time as any to give it a try.
After perusing several recipes online, I decided to combine some concepts and throw together some ingredients in a blender and see how it turned out.
I was thoroughly impressed. It turned out fantastic. Cool, refreshing, with a hint of warmth. To help matters, I just completed the top three herbs of my "Essential Herbs in a Chef's Garden. And I wanted to use them. Here was what I came up with. Watermelon-Cucumber Gazpacho

In a blender combine
1.5 pounds of cubed seedless Watermelon
1/2 of an English Cucumber (use whichever cucumber you like, I even left the seeds in)
1 cup of plain Yogurt (I use the kind with cream on top to give it a little more substance)
4-6 slices of Marinated Greek Tomatoes
1/2 jalapeño pepper
3 limes, juiced
1/4 tsp of salt
1/4 tsp of black pepper
1/2 tsp of cumin
5-6 leaves of Mint
4-5 leaves of Cilantro

yields: 1 Blender full

I slivered some Watermelon slices and added that along with a mint sprig for garnish. If you can't stand the heat, or don't want the heat, use less black and jalapeño pepper.
Also try serving with, Oyster Crackers, Saltines, or Goldfish, as if it were a normal hot soup.

I hope you try making Gazpacho, or another dish that you have always enjoyed and never got around to making. It is days like these that remind me why I love cooking so much. Enjoy!

My photographer for this dish was John David Devergilis. He is the same roommate who made the Banana Challa French Toast (as well as photographed it).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks like such a gorgeous gazpacho! I bet it has a wonderful flavor to it.

Jacqueline said...

Oh my. Looks and sounds fantastic!

Pam said...

This soup sounds wonderful! What a great summer gazpacho.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs