Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Ceviche and Steak Tacos

Have you ever gone into a Jons Supermarket? It is like they want you to have a Spanish/Mexican influenced night. Every package says Ole this or Oxacan that. On my latest trip I saw this huge bag of white corn tortillas, and they were $0.59 or something ridiculous like that, and I thought, tacos it is. After hitting up Vons and a few other grocery stores, I had plenty of food for the week, and Tuna Steaks that were on sale.
I lived in Peru for a month, and one day was on the beach. My friend ordered us a plate of fresh Ceviche, which really hit the spot as we had been in the sun all day. Although, it wasn't Tuna, I wanted to bring a little bit of Peruvian flavor into my kitchen. So, I browsed the web for some methods on making Ceviche and just figured, I can eat the Tuna raw, I can't really mess up here.

Ceviche:

3/4 Pound of Tuna (Cubed)
3/4 Lime Juice
3/4 Lemon Juice
TBS minced Garlic
Dash of Soy Sauce
TBS of Rice Vinegar
Cayenne Pepper to taste
Kosher Salt to taste

Chill the Tuna for at least an hour, I chilled for 5 in its acid bath. It cooked for sure. You can tell that it has cooked when it turns from Pink to White or translucent.

I made a similar marinade for my beef. Depending on what you are going for, you can make this with anything from Ribeye to beefsteak.
Beef:
1 pound of Beef, cubed
Cayenne Pepper to taste
Salt to Taste
1/4 Lime Juice
1/4 Lemon Juice
2 TBS of Rice Vinegar
2 TBS of Balsamic Vinegar
1/4 Olive Oil
1 TBS of Minced Garlic
1 tsp of Ginger
I then removed the Beef from its marinade, and threw it in a pan on med. heat. Waited until lots of the liquid burned off and the vinegars started to caramelize on the outside.
While the beef was cooking and the Ceviche chilling, I chopped up some fresh Cilantro from the garden. Removed the beef from heat, warmed up the tortillas in the pan, about 10 seconds on a side, sprinkled a little cheese down the middle, added a store bought pico de gallo, and whichever meat, garnished with cilantro. The Ceviche tacos were out of this world. Even the housemate who is trying out veganism broke for these fisheys. After checking the circular for this week, Albertson's, has Tuna Steaks at $5.99 /lb. So, I will be making this again this week.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

Cathy - wheresmydamnanswer said...

Good timing on this my brother and nephew just left on a 2 day deep sea fishing trip so if they come back with tuna or yellowtail this would be a great way to serve it up.

Cheers

Kirby! said...

i heard through the grapevine that these were SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good. please make them again soon, please!

iHateWheat said...

Civeche is my favorite thing to do with fresh caught fish or conch. I'll definitely give it the taco treatment next time around, good call. Hit me up sometime man, long time no see!

- Steve Butcher

www.iHateWheat.com & stevescookingjournal.blogspot.com/

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs